To my loyal readers (and there are a few out there): This will be my last post on this blog. As of today, I am no longer (gulp) in my 60s.
I don't feel any different than I did yesterday. I sure hope I don't look any different. And my good friends who have achieved this milestone a month or two before me tell me it's no big deal. It's just a number. They feel great. They're happy to be alive and well and have never enjoyed life more. (Some of these happy souls are in Arizona or Florida basking in the sun, and I'm sure that adds to the euphoria.)
I too am glad to be alive and well, and I hope to spend this new decade with happiness, good health, and creativity. It's good to have gotten to this point in life. I'm painfully aware that not everyone makes it.
Here, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, are my thoughts about my age. First, the bad news:
1. In only 10 years, I'll be 80!
2. Related to No. 1: The years go by faster and faster.
3. "Use it or lose it" is even more meaningful now. I'd better start using whatever it is I don't want to lose.
4. It's getting even more difficult to get out of a chair. (May be related to No. 3.)
Here's the good news:
1. In Cook County, if I get a summons for jury duty, I can now either ask for a change of venue (say, from 26th and California to the Skokie courthouse) or I can opt out altogether. (Note: I'm not opposed to jury duty. I have served six times, the last one on a week-long trial, which I found fascinating. But I'm done.)
2. It may be time for full retirement, with carefree, sleep-late-if-I-want-to mornings. So far, I'm still plugging away 3 days a week. But if I ever get a real hobby, it's nice to know that I can step down and go off in a new direction without feeling I gave up too soon.
3. Having friends and fellow alumni who are in the same decade and who understand my mixed emotions on this milestone—and, like me, enjoy joking about our perceived limitations.
I'm giving up this blog, but I'm not giving up blogging. I'm working on a new one. So far, all I have are several possible names, or themes, for the new blog. None has hit the spot yet, and I'm still ruminating. Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks for reading and sharing!