Saturday, October 3, 2009

Facing the season—or not

I'm one of those lifelong Chicagoans who has never embraced Chicago winters. In fact, the disdain I have for the approaching season of snow, cold, ice, and slush gets worse every year. So I've decided to be proactive this year. I bought a SAD lamp, expected to come by FedEx next week. I sure hope it works.

But can a SAD lamp cure my fear of driving in slippery new-fallen snow? Can it provide the brilliant color that disappears from yards and entryways when all the summer flowers die? But I have decided not to dwell on these questions and take another positive step: listing all the things I like about winter (and this will take deep thought).

The first item that comes to mind is trivial but important to me: I love winter sweaters. No, not the ones with reindeers frolicking across the bosom or the ones with a Fair Isle pattern across the neckline. (Truthfully, I hate those sweaters.) I just love cashmere, merino wool, even heavy cabled cottons. I love the colors that winter sweaters come in too. Claret, amethyst, teal, and my all-time favorite, black.

Another thing I love about winter? I don't feel obligated to have regular pedicures. One exception: My annual visit to the gynecologist is always in winter, and I vainly make sure I have colorful, non-chipping toenails for that event.

I also like holiday parties, not just for the camaraderie, but also for the opportunity to wear those lovely winter sweaters...

I'm sure there are many more reasons to love winter, but I can't seem to summon them right now. Next post, I planned to talk about what I dislike about winter, but I can't think of a single thing that millions of others haven't said before about the season. So I'm officially off this subject, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment